Friday, July 9, 2010

Zucchini Bread

I've gotten several requests for this recipe over the last couple of days, so I thought I would share!

This recipe is super special to me, because it is the recipe my Grandmother always used. I follow it exactly--it's never as good as hers was, but it is still the best I've ever tasted. Each time I chomp into a piece, I always think of Grandma Franzi.

Now, for our family, I double the recipe, then double it again to make eight loaves. I bake it all at once, and I've never had any problems. For me, it is a big time and energy saver to do it this way. Two loaves at a time and I would be baking all day long! I have gotten to where I no longer even glance at the recipe, and I can have eight loaves prepared, in the pans, and baking in under 20 minutes.



I've baked a lot of bread!

After baking, I cool the loaves in the pan for a few minutes, then remove and cool the rest of the way on baking racks. Once completely cool, I wrap the bread in one layer of heavy-duty foil, then one layer of Press-n-Seal, then package two loaves into a good gallon-sized freezer baggie. They keep all winter, and taste almost as good as they do when they are fresh out of the oven.


{don't mind the date on the baggie--I reuse them!}


3 C. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
dash nutmeg
1 Tbsp. good vanilla
3 eggs (large)
1 C. oil (I use canola)
2 C. sugar
2 C. grated, unpeeled zucchini
1 C. chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 325. (Okay--here is one deviation of mine from Grandma: I bake mine at 350. I don't know if it is my oven, or the fact that I am baking so many loaves at once, but mine were never done in the middle at 325, but were getting hard on the edges. I do 350 for one hour, five minutes.)

Grease two loaf pans.

This is a very important step. If you don't follow it, you will get done baking, and then this will happen:




Then you will cry over your failed loaf.

Then you will rethink the situation, dry your tears, and rejoice instead--because now you get to eat this loaf instead of having to freeze it. {Or maybe that's just me choosing to find the brighter side?}

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg. In a seperate bowl or Kitchen Aid if you have it, beat eggs; add oil; then sugar and vanilla. Add zucchini and nuts. Add dry ingredients slowly. Mix well. Divide evenly between your two loaf pans. Bake for about one hour and 10 minutes, being careful not to over bake. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean.

Let me know if you try it and like it! I would also love to hear your bread recipe, if it differs from mine.

Lastly--I have zucchini coming out of my ears....besides breading and pan frying, what else do you do with it?

Have a great Friday everyone!


8 comments:

Kara said...

I can say from baking and tasting this recipe is a HIT! I told Cory what you were up to and he told me to get in the kitchen :) You are one amazing baker my dear! Wish you were closer to come help me! THinking of you and your keeny bread today! Love you friend!

Rachel said...

Sounds yummy will have to try it when our zucchini comes in. We like to marinate it in balsamic vinegar & olive oil with seasoned salt and grill it in long slices. I also grate it and put it in an omlette or in meatballs or meat loaves. If you go to all recipes and type zucchini in as your ingredient there are all kinds of crazy recipes

Kathy said...

Um D!!! Wish we could mass bake together! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Kathy said...

opps. 'Yum' but I suppose 'Um' works too. ;-D

Anonymous said...

We cut ours in slices, cover in olive oil, and sprinkle with just a bit of rosemary. Then it hits the grill for a bit and it's SO GOOD!!!

Julie said...

Yep - grilling is a great option. Sometimes I make chicken skewers and alternate chicken marinated in italian dressing and zucchini (and sometimes yellow squash).

momma23 said...

My mom made zucchini/blueberry muffins, and they are amazing - my kids love them!

Mary Ann said...

I do lots of different things with zucchini. Layer it in lasagna; slice it thin, spread on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil & mozzarella cheese, broil until toasted. And then there is my personal family favorite (MY g-ma's recipe *grin*) Zucchini Hash. Brown & drain some hamburger or ground turkey (season however you like - onion, garlic, etc.); slice the zucchini & put it in the skillet with the meat & add crushed tomatoes. Simmer until the zucc is tender & serve with cheese on top (we use american). Love, love, love it!
I have a different bread recipe that has some oats & applesauce in it (a little bit lighter version) that has a real cakey consistency. And I have lemon cake, chocolate cake, & cookie recipe. Email me if you would like me to send them to you - m.annie77@gmail.com

Don't you just love summertime & fresh produce? :-)