Thursday, August 20, 2009

Colin's big day

Note to self: on the night before your first child starts Kindergarten, do not--I repeat, do NOT--try to read "The Kissing Hand." Even if you've read it before. A zillion times. And you love the book. And you know it is a perfect book to read on the night before the first day of school. And you think think think you can get through it without shedding tears.

You can not get through it without shedding tears!!!


Ahem.


If you don't know this book, the gist of the story is that little Chester Racoon does not want to go to school. His mother reassures him that she will always be 'with him' by telling him the very old secret in their family of 'The Kissing Hand'.

Excerpt:

Mrs. Raccoon took Chester's left hand and spread open his tiny fingers into a fan. Leaning forward, she kissed Chester right in the middle of his palm.

Chester felt his mother's kiss rush from his hand, up his arm, and into his heart. Even his silky, black mask tingled with a special warmth.

Mrs. Raccoon smiled. "Now," she told Chester, "whenever you feel lonely and need a little loving from home, just press your hand to your cheek and think, 'Mommy loves you. Mommy loves you.' And that very kiss will jump up to your face and fill you with toasty warm thoughts."

She explains that, no matter what Chester does--like, eating or washing his hands--the kiss will always stick. So, Chester decides that he can do it. He stands in front of his school on the first night, thoughtful.

Suddenly, he turned to his mother and grinned.

"Give me your hand," he told her.

Chester took his mother's hand in his own and unfolded her large, familiar fingers into a fan. Next, he leaned forward and kissed the center of her hand.

"Now you have a Kissing Hand, too," he told her. And with a gentle "Good-bye" and "I love you", Chester turned and danced away.

Mrs. Racoon watched Chester scamper across a tree limb and enter school. And as the hoot owl rang in the new school year, she pressed her left hand to her cheek and smiled.

The warmth of Chester's kiss filled her heart with special words.

"Chester loves you," it sang. "Chester loves you."

*sigh*

This morning, however, I did really well. We got up, got dressed, ate breakfast, and took some pictures. Everything was going great, and all involved were very happy and excited!


The boys

Colin in front of the door, insistent upon showing off the backpack that 'he picked out!'

In front of our tree....
....and the front door.

Then it was off to my friend Jen's house to drop off Cam and E while I took Colin in. I knew there was a potential of staying with Col for a bit, so it was easier just being the two of us.


I was
fine. Until I left Jen's house and began walking to the van, where Colin was waiting. Then, I started to feel a bit sick to my stomach, knowing what I was getting ready to do. I managed to hold it all together though. We got to the school, parked, snapped a picture.....


....prayed, and then filed in with all of the other children. I showed Colin the way to his classroom, and as soon as he walked in, you could just tell that everything was going to be great!

Hanging up his backpack

Finding 'his' seat

He looked so small to me in that big classroom!

He soon found a friend

Putting away his supplies

Time for some instructions!

Then, Colin's teacher led us all on a tour of the school.
We got to see the library....

....and the gym, along with restrooms, the nurse's station, the office, and the other classes.

Then, we headed back to the classroom. Mrs. W. instructed all of us that she was going to be reading the children a story now, and then they were going to have an assembly in the gym. Parents were welcome to stay as long as they wanted, but many started filing out....and I took my cue.


I went over to Colin, and told him that I was going to leave now. That lump was forming.

He said to me, "Okay, Mommy! See you in a little while."

And then, I opened up his little fingers and spread them out into a fan. I kissed his hand, and gently closed his fingers back into a fist. He looked up at me with a big knowing smile and said, "Now, you'll always be with me Mommy!" I gave him a big hug, whispered that, yes, I would always be with him. I kissed him again, and left.

Then I stood in the hall and cried.

But I watched him. He didn't look back. Not once.

He's gonna do great.
That's my comfort.

We were back in about an hour to pick him up. As well as I know he did, his face still lit up when he saw me in the car pick-up line. (Mine lit up even brighter, I'm fairly certain.) He had to show me his goody bag from his teacher....


....and then promptly share the goods with Cameron.

Hard. Sad. Happy. Sad. Exciting. Emotional. Sad.


But, somehow, it was still a
good day.

**I'm so proud of you buddy, and I love you so much.
I can't wait to see what this year brings for you!**

11 comments:

Julie said...

This is Great Dev! I've never heard of that book, and have to check it out now. I'm glad you made it through your day, and that Colin made it through his too! I was going to draw a heart in Reyganns hand... so I might have to read the book and paraphrase a little!

Kara said...

I haven't read that book yet, but will get it now! You are so compassionate and I am taking my cue to be more so! Glad today went so well! He is one cute Kindergarten boy!

Julie said...

I absolutely LOVE how his backpack is bigger than he is. SO STINKIN' CUTE!!

Yeah, thanks for the whole "Kissing Hand" thing - now I'm sitting here crying in my kitchen. At least Ande's not home right now to see my crying - he already thinks I'm a sap with our own kids, imagine what he'd do if he found out I was crying for YOURS. LOL

Don't worry, Dev - I'd say most moms cry when they take their kids to the first day of school. I cried last year, when I dropped Bub & Bug off, because Bub was starting HIGH SCHOOL and Bug MIDDLE SCHOOL. Yeah, so it doesn't end at kindergarten. Just warning you ahead of time. :)

Mamasita Chimichanga said...

Awww... I am so glad that you guys both did so well! Let me tell you, the FIRST day does NOT get easier with each child. I still have to cry after each of my children have their first day at school! But I know that I can have a good "first day cry" and then I'm good for the rest of the year!

Hope he has a great year!

Kacy =)

Kirst said...

All I can say is tears. Wow brings me back to last year and I'm sure this year won't be any different. I've always been told it's harder on the parents than the kids.
Glad to hear he and you had a great day.
How's the newest addition doing? How have you been feeling?

Carolyn said...

First things first: I am so happy that your day went well...and Colin's too :)

And secondly, do you know what a post like this does to a pregnant Mom?!?!?...my tears were falling and now I just have to go buy the book. I love the idea - I did something similar to this with my boys when I sent them off to school and perhaps that is why it struck such a chord with me.

Happy for you my friend!

Brittany said...

I know Mrs. W.! She goes to our church. I'm glad Colin is having a good experience.

I don't know if you're driving him in every day or if he's riding the bus, but something I do EVERY day (when they attended school and weren't homeschooled) on the way to school is pray with my children. I prayed for their behavior, that they would obey their teachers, I thanked God for their lunch, if they had something special going on that I knew about, I'd ask God to bless their time with it, etc. It was a special time for us and I felt like it really started their day off well.

Laura said...

Well Dev...I know how exciting and happy this time is for you guys but this blog made me cry AND I made the mistake of reading this at work so now I have to explain why I'm crying and picturing Chloe at this point next year is not helping at all. I love ya and I'm so glad that Colin had such a great time. I'm also excited for the fun times your going to have with C and E this year too!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my...crying as I read this precious story of begining a whole new journey with your oldest...I was thinking about my boy who is 20 years old now..It was January of this year and he raised his right hand and swore to defend the United States of America in the USAF...Oh how I wanted to take that hand of his and kiss it and remind him that wherever he is and whatever happens all he has to do is press it to his cheek and remember that there is no one this side of heaven who loves him more then his Momma...I am so grateful he has a Father in Heaven who loves him far more than I ever could..Cherish every moment with these precious boys...the time goes so fast and the memories we make with them are the things we are left holding on to as they grow and move on in their lives...Nothig like the tender heart of a mother!!!
Bless you as you pour yourself into their lives!!!

Sandy

Karie said...

That's so great that he and you had a good day. I am NOT looking forward to "that day" for me yet.

Amanda Hoyt said...

Looks like Colin had a great 1st day :)
My Caitlin also had her first day of Kindergarten yesterday. It was good for her and bittersweet for me :) Isn't it crazy how fast they grow up??
Wow!
Have a wonderful week, friend!
Hugs,
Amanda