Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Looking out for his brother?

Overheard this morning during playtime:


Cameron, very high pitched: "Aiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! Aiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!"


Colin: "Cameron, stop screaming!"


Ah, that's my boy. Colin, in the usual big brother, caretaker role, is "parenting" Cameron by telling him not to scream because he knows that we aren't supposed to scream in the house. What a good kid. So obedient....so protective of Cameron, not wanting him to get in trouble.


Cameron, a couple minutes later, again: "Aiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! Aiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!"


Colin, a bit firmer this time: "Cameron, I said stop screaming like that!"


Good Colin, good. You are setting that good example for him again....keep it up, buddy.


Cameron is quiet for a few minutes, taking his older brother's valuable advice....until playtime gets a little more exciting again.


Cameron: "Aiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! Aiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! Aiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!"


"Let's see how he handles this one," I think to myself. "I'm going to see what Colin has to say before I step in to take care of the outrageous, unnecessary noise that this child knows he is not supposed to be making indoors. I can't understand why he didn't heed Colin's first two warnings. I know that Colin only had Cameron's best interests of not getting into trouble in mind when he was telling him to stop screaming like that.....


Colin's rebuke to Cameron?


"Cameron, I have told you to stop screaming like that two times. Now, we don't scream like girls in this house, like, "Aieeeee, Aieeee!" If you are going to scream, you need to scream like a boy, like, "Arggggghhhhh, Argggghhhhhh!!"


Ah, yes. Only Cameron's best interests--of not getting into trouble for breaking the rule of screaming indoors--at heart.


3 comments:

Kara said...

That is classic boys! I love it! I know I have heard and will hear again, something like that out of Caden's mouth soon.

Last week, Caden told my sister on the phone, that he couldn't talk anymore because he had to go control his kid...

Those boys are too much alike, again I love it!

Shelly said...

ha! at least boys' voices are slightly lower pitched so as to take the edge of the screaming, right? i love the reprimand--classic!

Karie said...

Oh my word, that is sooooo funny. How does he come up with these things?