Saturday, August 7, 2010

Salt--the magic cure for all food ills

I always cook my green beans in roughly the same way when I make them.

But the other day, I decided I was going to try something new.

I threw an onion, sliced up, into the bottom of my 4-quart crock pot; layered small whole red potatoes on top of that; and then, layered my beans (whole, not snapped) on top of that. I added a couple of tablespoons of bacon fat (I know, I know...I hear all of you gasping--but it was goooood) to the top of my beans, added some chicken stock, freshly ground pepper and just a touch of salt, put the cover on, then turned the beans on low for about 8 hours.

Ummm....can I just say it?

Divine.

Not. joking.

I loved them. Love love love. Shane liked them a lot, and Colin and Ethan both liked them as well. Cam? Well....Cam was a different story.

"What's the matter, Cameron?" I asked him. "You don't like the beans?"

"No Mommy. Not really. I like your other beans better."

Me: "Oh! Okay. Well, how about we add a bit of salt to the beans?"

Cameron's face lit up.

"SURE! Yep. Let's add salt. Lots and lots of it."

So, I added a little salt (with my finger over most of the holes of the shaker).

Next thing I knew, Cameron was scarfing the beans. Scarfing them.

Me, getting ready to gloat: "So! Those beans actually turned out to be pretty good after all, huh?"

Cameron: "No. But I'll eat anything with salt."



0 comments: