Tuesday, December 7, 2010

They deserve so much more credit than we give them sometimes

My boys and I have seen the salvation army bell ringers a few times now, and each time we do, I grab some spare change from the front of the car and give it to them.  Each time we take turns dropping the coins into the bucket, I briefly share with the boys about the importance of giving to others who don't have as much as we do.

Truthfully though, I think I really thought that deep down--though I don't know if I would have admitted it or not--that the concept was above the boys' head.  I know Colin understands, but I didn't think Cameron and especially Ethan were really 'getting it'.

Today, loading up our van, Ethan found a lost quarter in the driveway.  He picked it up, and for 10 minutes in the car he absolutely rejoiced over his new found cash.  ("My qwatter! My qwatter!!")

A quarter is a really big deal when you are three.

We arrived at our stop about 10 minutes later, stopping at a store for a quick errand.  As soon as we started filing out of the car, the boys heard it.

The bell was a ringin'.

Ethan immediately hopped back into the van, went over to his seat, and grabbed his prized quarter.  When I asked him what he was doing, his exact words were:

"I'm going to give this qwatter in that wed bucket so that udder widdle kids have money to eat food like we do."

And, right there in that 10-degree, covered-with-snow parking lot, I melted.  (Don't think I didn't tear up a little bit, too.)

I'm so thankful for that little guy--for ALL of my little ones--and for the reminder today that they catch so much more than we think they do.  They bless me each and everyday.

 

4 comments:

Kara said...

When these stories happen, it is God's way of reminding us that what we do matters and it is working! Gives me hope and smiles! Love to you friend!

Faith said...

SO cool!! He melted my heart too!! Way to go Ethan!!

Kathy said...

Love. Simply? Love.

The have amazing, amazing examples my friend.
xoxo

Amanda Hoyt said...

So sweet - I got goosebumps reading this post - he is such a sweet boy :)