Thursday, January 1, 2009

Whew.

Shane just recently spend 4 days away from home....and by the last day, I thought I was going to die. Ugh. I just hate being apart from him.


We haven't had to be apart all that much in our marriage. There was a time, when Colin was 9 months old, that Shane got a job working about 2 1/2 hours away from home. He would leave on Sunday nights and would be gone all week, coming home on Friday evenings. It was the pits. It seemed so hard to me then--and it was--but in comparison, I actually know now that I had it easy--there was only little Colin to take care of, and he was pretty much a breeze compared to my wild and crazy bunch of boys now!


Thoughts I can post now that Shane is safely back home with me:


*Talking out loud to yourself can make you feel not-so-lonely.

*Watching movies by yourself just isn't the same.


*I do not mind finding a spider inside my house; however, having to kill it and dispose of it myself is certainly another matter. Ew.


*Taking a break from having to cook "real" family meals every once in a while is fun--but having pizza for lunch and dinner two days in a row isn't so much....


*My house is a lot bigger and much more mysterious and creepy when Shane isn't here.


*Said house is even more mysterious and creepy when we have 60 mph winds and a massive thunderstorm surrounding us. Ack.


*There is a lot less laughter when Shane is gone.


*I never realized how many sounds there are at night in a house.


*It is somewhat difficult to calm a nervous child when you are scared out of your wits yourself. But it is possible, somehow--'cause, as a parent, that's just what you do.


*My bed is not nearly as warm and cozy when I am in it all alone.


*However, I did discover that Shane's side of the bed is actually more comfortable than mine is.


*You know--even after eight years--that you are still madly in love with someone when your heart is beating wildly and you are semi-nervous at the thought of seeing them again after four days of not seeing them.


And finally:



*Single parents deserve way more recognition than they receive. Whew!

Love you babe. Glad you're back home.

3 comments:

Shelly said...

being alone is the pits! steven very rarely has to go overnight for work and every time it serves to remind me to love and appreciate him even more! i'm so glad your husband is back!

Kathy said...

Ohhh girl, I know what you mean...and you know I know.

No doubt about single parents. I need to make more of an effort to see where I could help some ladies in our area. How easily I forget...

Mom on a Coulee said...

As a military wife and having spent countless nights alone I have to tell you I laughed hysterically over what you had to say. They are all very true and I've been there for each one. It is awesome that were so excited to see him again after four days. Thankfully we are no longer in the Army military we are still in but not to the same degree so now he is home most of the time. He is away on a three day jaunt now and he get home tomorrow and I can't wait. I'm not sure how I did 4 months less than year ago but I'm so glad I don't have to any more at least for the time being.
God Bless You and keep loving your family as much as your blog shows that you do.