Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Down my crack

Colin has a crack. And, no, it is not the one that probably immediately came to mind.


This particular crack has provided Colin with many, many 'funnies'. He doesn't even realize it, which is the cute thing--and it really makes the things he says that much funnier.


Colin's bed is pushed as far as it can go to the wall, but there is still a space between his mattress and the wall because of his bed frame. Approximately 7 inches or space or so. It used to terrify me when he was little--I was always worried that he would fall down into that 'abyss' while he was sleeping, so we used to stuff big pillows down there at nighttime. Now that he is bigger, we don't do that anymore....and this space has been affectionately nicknamed by Colin as, "my crack."



***************************************************************************************************************


He finds toys there all the time. Just the other day, Colin came to me and showed me a car that he had found. It had been missing for about 2 weeks.


"Look Mom!" he said.

"Colin, where did you find that car?" I asked.

"Down my crack."



**************************************************************************************************************


"The crack" now remains open all of the time--and therefore, in this mommy's eyes, it can be a very treacherous space.


All three of the boys like to play this game where they climb up on Colin's bed and "play" (which translates to wrestle), and then jump to "escape from each other" onto Cameron's bed below. (By the way, I have tried keeping Ethan out of this game, for safety reasons--but now that he has become so proficient at climbing, and can get right back up on to Colin's bed himself two seconds after I leave the room after taking him off the bed, the effort is futile. Plus, they all three put up such a protest to have E included--a chorus of "Mom, we'll be careful! Please??" is generally heard--that I have just given in on this one. It's not always pretty, but we deal.)


Sometimes, the play turns a bit rough, which is always my fear--and things happen which lead Colin to say things like this:



"Mom! I need you to come here and help me please!"

"Colin, what's the matter?"

"Well, Ethan fell and now he is stuck down my crack...."



***************************************************************************************************************


But, the greatest funny Colin has ever provided me in regards to "his crack" came a couple of weeks ago when we went to Grandma and Grandpa's in Chicago for a visit. See, Lynette has a bed just like us--a single bed with a trundle underneath--and she always sets it up for the boys when we come. Her bed, like ours, sticks out just a little bit from the wall.


Upon close examination of his bed when we got there, Colin proclaimed:

"Mom!"

"Dad!"

"Grandma and Grandpa have a crack just like I do!"



Hilarious. I just couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.



8 comments:

Julie said...

Gotta love it when they give you blog fodder!!

And I do have to admit, I immediately thought of the "other" crack when I read the title of this post. LOL

Shelly said...

ha hahaha ha! wow. that was a good one!

Anonymous said...

oh colin, so innocent and so funny.
can you believe what you are going to post when all 3 are coming up with things. you will be on here all day long.

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHA now thats just hillarious!! Kids do say the darndest things....great one devin! -sioby

Kara said...

okay that is the funniest thing I have heard today...i love it! Seriously we should write a book with the stuff our 6 boys will come up! Maybe we can pay for the college education :)

jillybean said...

I love it! Thanks for a great laugh before bed! Just what I needed. :)

btw, love the amazing work you guys did in your kitchen and dining room. Greg and I may be about to embark on our home makeover, that is, if we buy the house we are looking at. Unfortunately, we don't have the amazing skills you and Shane have, so we'll be relying on a contractor for all that cool stuff. Way to go!

boltefamily said...

OH MY! I am laughing out loud as I read this! I needed that today! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed it as much as the first time I heard it. See you tomorrow!