Friday, July 3, 2009

"Yes" Mom Challenge: Day Four

My "yes" moment today was a gross one. I'm warning you ahead of time.


Now, Colin's a big kid. When he goes in the bathroom to, ahem, do his business, he can accomplish everything from start to finish all by himself.


There is not, by any stretch of the imagination, a need for me to be present.


So, when Colin decided yesterday to come in my bathroom and announce his need to go, I promptly put my makeup brush down and began to walk out.


Why on earth do you need to come in this bathroom? Do you not know that we have two bathrooms in this house? I mean, I know that you know we do. You use the other one all the time. Do you not see me in here? Doing something? I am using this bathroom. My bathroom. It is mine. It is attached to my actual bedroom, after all. But....it's alright. I'll leave. I'll come back after you've stunk up the joint. That will be nice. *sigh*


And then I heard:


"Mom, will you stay in here with me?"


Oh, great. Yes....yes....this sounds like fun. I think my very sensitive nose will really, really enjoy this. Why on earth, Col? I don't need to be in here with you. You need your privacy, after all, don't you?


"Ummm.....yeah, I guess I can stay if you want me to. Are you sure you want me to? You don't want to have some privacy?" Please tell me you've changed your mind and you want some privacy.


"No! I want you to stay. Here (motioning to the little stool that Ethan uses to go potty, and pulling it over to sit about 4 and a 1/2 inches from the toilet) Mommy. You can sit right here."


Wow. That is definitely too close for any kind of comfort.


So, I sat. Against all my better judgment, I sat.


And, Col did....what people do when they are on the potty.


And, he talked. I mean, we talked. We actually had a very nice conversation, which, at the end of (and while he was still on the potty), he leaned all the way over to me, wrapped his arms around my neck and said:


"I like it when you stay in here with me Mom. I know it's stinky. But you did good."


That kid has a way of making everything I do for him worth every bit of stench effort.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is absolutley adorable (and stinky!) Well done

Its A Corny Life... said...

I am loving all of your "yes mom" stories and can't wait to read the rest of them. Do me a favor? Remind me of this little exercise next year when Abby is old enough to be asking stuff? I already feel like I am saying NO all the time..."Abby, no...do not play with those computer cords". Abby, no...do not eat the cat's food", or, my favorite "Brian, NO...you cannot play golf"...

Well, you get the idea.

Julie said...

Aw Dev. It's so sweet that Col wanted you to stay with him. And even sweeter that you did.

I have to admit, I got a little teary at the part where he hugged you and told you that he was glad you stayed in there....