Sunday, July 5, 2009

"Yes" Mom Challenge: Day Six

"The walking stick"


At church tonight, Pastor gave Colin a new 'toy'. A large, very sturdy tube.


Boys can do 937 things with a tube of this sort. If you have boys, you know these things. Colin was very excited.


After church was over, we headed over to the fireworks in Champaign. We go there every year--it is by far the best display around, and well worth the 35 minute drive.


On the way over, my Mom and I had been talking about this "yes" challenge that I'm doing. She thinks it's great, and has been very encouraging so far.


"Mom," I said, "you just can't imagine how often my brain just automatically goes to "no" before I even think about what the kids are asking me! It's like I am programmed to be negative or something. It's ridiculous. I'm ashamed of myself at some points, when I really stop and think about what I am doing and why."


To which, she laughed and said:


"I know, Honey. Sometimes you just have to really make a conscious effort about these kinds of things."


Later, once we arrived at the fireworks and were getting out of the car, Colin piped up:


"Mom, can I take my walking stick with me?"


To which, Grandma MJ almost immediately said, "No, buddy. Not right now."


She looked up, and I was looking at her. I had to laugh. Make a conscious effort about these things....


"Why?" I said, very deliberately. "Why can't he take that crazy thing with him? What on earth is it going to hurt?"


She grinned, and I grinned....and then, giggling, she replied:


"I guess there really is no good reason why he can't take it." We got a great laugh over that one.


So, Colin went on....a boy and his walking stick....as happy as could be.



1 comments:

Julie said...

It's nice to know that your mom is supportive - that always helps!

I have to tell you this, because it's cute - Puckey was just looking at your blog, and the following conversation occured:

Puckey: What's that on the floor? (pointing to the ultrasound picture of Baby Merritt)

Me: It's a baby in a mommy's tummy.

Puckey: Your tummy?

Me: No, Devin's tummy.

Puckey: Why did she EAT it?

Me: She didn't EAT the baby, babies are in a mommy's tummy before they are born.

Puckey: Oh. Okay.

Apparently that was all the explanation she needed.