Thursday, October 30, 2008

Eight amazing years, one amazing trip

Shane and I had the best time in Chicago for our anniversary. We really love going to Chicago....of course, I had the option to go wherever I wanted to, but I actually picked Chicago over other places. It just seems to hold a special place in my heart.



One of my fondest memories was a day early on when we started dating, and Shane took me downtown to go shopping and to dinner. We spent forever in Crate and Barrel, just eying all the stuff that was way too expensive for us to actually buy *grin*, then headed to dinner at this wonderful hole-in-the-wall restaurant, Gino's East. It was the original Gino's--barely any room in there, and has since been shut down in favor of a newer and much larger building. It was, officially and to this date, the best pizza I have ever eaten. (I've been back since, and it's still awesome--but there was something about that pizza that day. Or, maybe it was my company.....) Then, we headed down to Navy Pier and walked, listened to this really cool blues band for awhile, and then watched the Friday night fireworks display.




Chicago has been extra special to me ever since that day.




We did so much on our trip, and really enjoyed just being together and celebrating our marriage and the gift God has given us in each other. More and more everyday, I appreciate Shane for who he is as my husband and the father of my children.




I don't know how I could possibly be any more blessed. (On a side note....I sure do love you, babe.)




Now that you are all gagging (HA!).....here's a quick recap of some of our activities!



Friday morning--walking from our hotel down to Michigan Ave!
We are right above the Chicago river in this picture



Back at the Swissotel.....the view was amazing!


(that's the Chicago River, and Navy Pier is sticking out at the end,
in case you aren't familiar with the city)


Friday Night--Dinner at the new Gino's East (still awesome, by the way)

And then, one of the biggest highlights of the trip--
Down to Broadway in Chicago to see......


It was amazing! I can't say enough good about this show. FAB!
Another really great highlight was Sunday night. I got tickets to The Second City, and we enjoyed three hilarious hours of comedy. We laughed 'till we cried--literally!


Somehow, we were seated in the very front row....however, we were not spit on by any of the actors, nor were we openly mocked (Shane was a bit nervous about the latter). The girl right next to Shane, however, was sung to...just think, that could have been me *sigh*

Seriously, could we have been any closer? That's the stage right to the right of Shane



My cheekbones were actually hurting at the end of the night
Monday afternoon, just before heading home, we made our last stop at the Patio restaurant for a beef sandwich--another one of our favorites. It was yummy, as usual.


We were sad to be leaving our mini-getaway.....but yet excited at the thought of coming home to see the boys. The greeting we received from them was very loud and very joyful, which was great--it was good to know that we were missed, and how much they really did love Mommy and Daddy! (At one point in the trip, Colin was distressed over the fact that we were coming home soon, because that meant that Grandma MJ was returning to her house--he was NOT fond of that idea at all! But, once it was explained that Grandma would still be around just like before, all was well with the world again.)


All in all, the trip was everything I was hoping it would be and more. Thanks again, Mom, for taking such awesome care of the boys for us--we could not have had this fantastic experience without you!

6 comments:

Julie said...

So glad you had a fun trip. You would have totally had to miss out on the great pizza, Broadway show, the view, and Second City if you would have come here to visit us.

I could have ridden my bike past the window really fast whilst cackling madly and Ande could have attempted to tell you a joke though!

Oh well, there's always NEXT year! LOL

Kara said...

That looks so great! Check out you two hotties:) You two are truly a beautiful couple! Your trip reminds me of our last winter to NYC...fun times! It also reminds me to schedule another one soon. I would love some alone time with my hubby! Glad you guys had fun and the boys did well!

Kathy said...

Could you guys be any cuter?!?!??!

Seriously!

I love me a big dirty city. Chi-town is awesome:)

How wonderful to hear you had a great time!!! Praise God for 8 years!

Great pictures girl...

Homegrown Tribe said...

You guys are TOO CUTE! Love it! Looks like you had a great time!

Brittany

jillybean said...

Devin,
You guys look so happy and in love! :) What a great trip! Can I go next year? :)

Karie said...

Glad you had such a great time. Jay and I need to do something like that.