Thursday, October 23, 2008

Happy Fall, Y'all

Shane did a super job of carving our pumpkin a couple of weeks ago.
I loved, loved, loved it!

It glowed so cool outside at night

Unfortunately, I know nothing about carving pumpkins....and ours lasted about a week and a half before it rotted and was riddled with fruit flies. I am serious--it was one of the sickest things ever. Ugh. So, now, here are the house pics with all of our fall decorations....

......minus one terribly cool carved pumpkin.
At dusk....

Getting darker....
and darker.....
and darker!
Some of my favorite decorations are
Mr. Bones and Ms. Kitty.
Little candles go behind the faces to make them glow!
And, every year we do pumpkins in varied sizes for the members of our family.
My all-time favorite fall decorations are my Luminaries. I have a total of 10 of them that line my walk and my front three windows.

Oh, how I love fall decorating!

8 comments:

Julie said...

I love fall decorating, too. We usually wait to carve our pumpkins until just a few days before Halloween (so as to avoid the yucky rotting pumpkin ordeal). Case in point, we bought our pumpkins nearly 2 weeks ago, but won't carve them until either Saturday or Sunday.

I have read that if you wipe down the entire pumpkin with some sort of bleach wash, you can prolong it's "life" after carving. A couple of websites I just checked out recommend rubbing the entire pumpkin with petroleum jelly once it's been carved, including all cut surfaces.

There's also some stuff called "Pumpkin Fresh" that you can spray on your pumpkins, although it's a little close to Halloween to try that this year.

So, there's your pumpkin preserving Tip O' the Day. LOL

Kirst said...

I love your decorations. Wish I could see them in person. Pictures will have to do.

Kirst said...

I love your decorations. Wish I could see them in person. Pictures will have to do.

Kirst said...

Oops I must have pressed the button twice.

Homegrown Tribe said...

love the pumpkins... very cool!

Brittany

Kara said...

Love the pretty decorations! I too love to decorate for fall! Shane is one awesome carver :)

Karie said...

This looks great, I LOVE fall. Have fun on your trip.

Sharon said...

Your decorations look great. I was running last week that way and saw them. I agree about the pumpkin. Last year we carved ours the first week in Oct, and it got so nasty really quickly. I decided we'd wait this year, so it would look half-way decent on Halloween.